West Coast Engineering Manager
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is seeking a West Coast Engineering Manager
BMT is a full-service technical and management consultancy. Clients include the federal government, domestic and international marine, environmental and safety companies. Our technical and managerial competencies include: Ship Design and Engineering Services; Reliability Centered Maintenance, Systems Safety and Logistics Support; Environmental and Energy Policy Formulation and Support, Human Factors Engineering and Applied Environmental Services. Our professional staff provides high caliber designs and engineering solutions, comprehensive test and evaluation analysis and management support services exceeding customer expectations.
BMT is an international design, science, engineering, risk and program management consultancy, serving clients principally in the defense and security, energy and environment, critical infrastructure and commercial shipping sectors. For further information on BMT please visit www.dandp.com.
BMT Designers & Planners, Inc. is seeking a West Coast Engineering Manager to lead, manage and develop a talented team of naval architects, marine engineers and designers that deliver commercial and government vessel ship design and engineering products and services. Engineering Manager will actively participate in planning and implementing business development strategies and be responsible for execution of project work management including cost, schedule, and quality performance. Qualified candidates must have commercial and government ship design technical experience working with commercial shipyards to deliver detail design packages, and engineering changes and modifications. The position requires commitment to successfully executing engineering design and modification projects, developing and mentoring the engineering team, and ensuring the delivery of quality products and services that not only meet but exceed our customer’s expectations. Engineering Manager must have strong work ethic and leadership and technical engineering experience.
Work Location: Greater Seattle, WA
Qualified candidates must be a U.S. citizen and have a DoD secret clearance or eligible to obtain a clearance. Background check required
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Serve as liaison with the owners, shipbuilder, life cycle managers, and technical leads to identify and resolve technical issues, draft work plans and statement of work documents and contract modifications and estimate labor hours for specific engineering tasks.
- Support development of new business and development of proposals.
- Coordinate and integrate design solutions; ensure the design requirements are identified, invoked, and adhered to.
- Manage, plan, and direct the design development, systems integration, and delivery of design products characterizing the design of ship structure, propulsion systems, electrical generation and distribution systems, auxiliary systems, outfit and mission/combat equipment through the total ship system engineering process.
- Plan, manage and execute the design of system upgrades and installation of modernization packages. Initiate and complete design studies as required to resolve technical issues.
- Facilitate effective communications with project team, support team and management. This includes timely, unbiased communication of project status and issues.
- Prepare and conduct project management reviews with management in a professional and unbiased manner.
- Mentor and develop junior and mid-level engineers.
- Proactively address any performance issues on the project team with the individual in a timely manner. Provide team members feedback on their performance.
- Ensure the sustainment and continued development of technical capability within the engineering team with the acquisition of appropriate software tools, recruitment, training and mentorship of staff and the development and refinement of engineering processes and procedures.
- Travel not expected to exceed 25%.
- Minimum 10 years of experience with increasing level of responsibility leading technical engineering groups, managing ship design and modification projects, reviewing drawings and analysis to ensure quality products and services that meet and exceed owner and stakeholder expectations. Responsible for project cost estimating, planning, project risk analysis (including risk mitigations), resource management, schedule and budget, quality, and accountability for the successful completion of program/project goals.
- Minimum 8 years of experience creating concept ship design and production design packages and managing multidisciplinary technical personnel and projects.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience performing technical work such as FEA, stability, equipment foundation designs, seakeeping /motion analysis, weight estimates is required.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related discipline is required
- PE license preferred
- Familiar with ship design software tools is required.
- Strong listening, oral and written communication skills with ability to quickly and successfully integrate with a multidisciplinary team, establish successful working relationships with group managers, technical staff, technicians, subcontractors and other stake-holders and develop an open and collaborative work environment to influence and achieve positive outcomes.
- Advance MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) skills to create proposals, technical reports and documents required. MS SharePoint experience preferred.
- Strong analytical, writing and presentation skills that result in the delivery of high quality products and services that exceed client expectations.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated decision making skills.
- Performance management leadership and coaching skills.
BMT Designers & Planners enjoys a diverse professional staff and offers a competitive compensation package. Interested candidates must submit resume and completed Employment Application and surveys with subject line "ENG 101" to HR@dandp.com or fax to 703-920-7177. Please find Employment Application and Applicant Surveys below. This business uses E-Verify in its hiring practices to achieve a lawful workforce. BMT Designers & Planners is an Equal Opportunity Employer & Affirmative Action Employer of M/F/Veterans/Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
For further information on BMT Designers & Planners, please visit their website: www.dandp.com
Who to contact / How to apply:
To apply please send a copy of your CV to Hr@dandp.com
If you would like to have an informal discussion about this role prior to applying please contact:
Patricia Ghannam on +1 703 920 7070